Thursday, April 3, 2008

ALT Levels

Hello Every Dog,
My ALT levels, those pesky liver enzymes, are still pretty high. Dr. Bennington said my ALT levels should be around 120 at the highest. The first time they poked me and took blood my ALT was 254. They put me on that hot dog treat, I mean...penicillin, twice a day and then mom brought me back and they poked me again. This time, my ALT levels were 249. So they went down, but not as much as Dr. Bennington would have liked, especially in two weeks time.

Dr. Bennington says it could be the raw hides mom and dad have been giving me....so Mom threw out ALL my raw hides and she said she's going to get me special ones tomorrow (ones that are from the USA only).

Does any dog know much about ALT levels? Do Eskie's tend to have liver problems?


UPDATE From Sidka's Mum:
It was virtually IMPOSSIBLE to find raw hides that were not overseas. So, we decided to finally try bully sticks. Man, Sid goes through those FAST, FAST, FAST and they're expensive...So we also got the New(ish?) Nyla Bones that are completely digestable. Both Sidka and Josie love them. We have to get Sid the colossal size (!) and Josie the regular size (versus petite, she went through that too fast!). I like them, but also expensive, so they're limited. Raw hides lasted so much longer for Sid! Any suggestions?

4 comments:

Molly the Airedale said...

Gee, we can't answer these questions but we're sure sorry to hear that all your rawhides had to get dumped! We hope your ALT levels get back to normal real soon!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Lorenza said...

Hi, Sid!
Like Maggie and Mitch I don't have anything about those questions!
I hope you get new yummy treats!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Jenna said...

Aw, I hope you get the ALT levels down!

For Sam: I am a Mainer born and bred, so I'm familiar with creton. Haven't had it in years, but I do recall liking it. On the plus side of Australian food, though, they have some really excellent ice creams. =D

Hana said...

I don't know about raw hides and nylabones, but people on the Eskie Board are always talking about how great antlers are. Do a search on "antlers" on forum.eskie.net and you will find info there.